Catapult is an innovative publisher that celebrates extraordinary storytelling. We promote American and international fiction and narrative nonfiction that is insightful, stirring, and surprising by way of unique voices—whether emerging or established—that honor the craft of writing. “We must contribute to both contemporary literary culture and the pleasure and knowledge of a diverse and serious readership,” says Editor in Chief Pat Strachan. “As Rebecca Mead wrote in The New Yorker, ‘There are pleasures to be had from books beyond being lightly entertained.’”
We welcome narrative nonfiction and fiction for our online magazine. While we publish pieces that are anywhere from 500 to 6000 words long, a typical piece has around 2500 words.
For both fiction and nonfiction manuscript submissions, please include word count and your email address in the document. Please submit only one piece at a time, and please include a cover letter along with your piece. Writers will receive compensation for accepted online magazine pieces. We aim to respond to submissions within six months, hopefully earlier. We accept all file formats.
If you are in touch directly with a Catapult editor, please share your writing with them via email, and do not submit here.
Have you heard about our writing workshops?
"Best Place to Meet Your Literary Heroes and Get Better at Writing” – Village Voice
Use code SUBMIT10 for 10% off your first class.
Catapult is accepting pitches for columns from October 15 to November 15, 2019. We encourage you to check out a few of our previously published columns to get a feel for the type of work we’d like to see from our regular contributors. We pay for all pieces that are published.
- Fallen Women, by Lilly Dancyger
- Movie-Made Gay, by Manuel Betancourt
- Bayou Diaries, by Bryan Washington
- My Life in Sea Creatures, by Sabrina Imbler
- Mistranslate, by Nina Li Coomes
When you submit you column pitch, be sure to include:
- A suggested title for the column
- An overview of the column’s theme, in as much detail as possible: what your column will be about, the reason(s) why you’d like to explore this particular topic, and why you think it would be a good fit for Catapult
- Pitches for the first three installments you will write, if selected
- At least three clips of previously published work (blog posts are acceptable)
Please submit one complete column pitch at a time. If you are in touch with a Catapult editor, please feel free to contact them directly and do not double-submit to Submittable and a Catapult editor.